If you are searching for a holiday gift idea that will bring joy, comfort, or improve the life of a senior citizen you love, the options are endless!
We’ve come up with fabulous ideas for seniors who are independent and active, live with Alzheimer’s Disease or dementia, or have other special care needs. Some presents are timeless for any senior, like scoring the softest, lightweight lap blanket; or the perfect coziest loungewear for a winter’s day.
Other thoughtful, useful gifts include:
- Alexa (Echo) or Google Assist – Each new version of today’s voice assistant Alexa (Echo) and Google Assist get better! They’re perfect if a loved one falls and needs to call for help, or if they need reminders to take pills. These gadgets are also entertaining and can play music, find recipes, and give weather reports and the day’s news. Some people say Google Assist is more conversational, giving fun trivia questions to play with. Both Google Assist and Alexa will tell jokes that are a bit silly and G-rated.
- Wi-Fi Digital Picture Frame – What’s wonderful about today’s digital picture frames is that the gift giver can upload new photos to your loved one’s frame from anywhere at any time. This way, the recipient will never bore with this entertaining gift! Wi-Fi frames allow you to conveniently change photos in seconds. The Skylight is a very popular digital frame.
- Attractive Non-Slip Socks – Cozy socks are a thoughtful way to provide some extra warmth. You can purchase all sizes and patterns, including socks specially designed for individuals with diabetes. Bamboo socks are extra soft, breathable, and anti-bacterial. Gripper socks are a great way to ensure secure footing when walking.
- Gift Baskets – You can support local businesses with yummy gift baskets that include your loved one’s favorite foods, from specialty jams, sauces, candy, and nuts to wine, pasta, cheese, pastries, and bread or other treats! Who doesn’t love a basket of their favorite snacks from beloved places like Zingerman’s Bakehouse and Gingham and Posh?
- Eyeglass Holders – Buy several to have around the house in attractive styles like artisan-made dogs and cats, or handcrafted beaded necklace holders.
- Adult Coloring Books – They’ve been on trend for a few years now and the quality and choices keep growing. Coloring book topics seem to exist for every interest. Gorgeous coloring books about relieving stress; hobby and lifestyle books for golf, garden, and animal lovers; and books for those with dementia, Alzheimer’s Disease, or other brain disease are all available online. Don’t forget to buy colored pencils and a sharpener!
- Big Button Universal Remote – Remotes can be confusing for anyone these days, especially for seniors. An extra-large, easy-to-find button remote control that works with all name brand televisions/cable boxes is a delightful holiday gift idea! In just a few minutes, you can pre-program the remote so your loved one can use it right away!
- Automatic Jar Opener – When one’s strength and dexterity diminishes, an automatic jar open just makes life easier. They come in a huge variety of prices and sizes!
If you have a loved one who has everything, consider a gift from the service industry. Lawn service, snow removal, grocery delivery and restaurant delivery are thoughtful gifts that will make life easier and more enjoyable — a truly perfect gift idea!